This handy little technique is good for personal amusement as well as increasing the level of oxygen in your system. My source described it as good for balancing the right and left sides of your brain and autonomic nervous system.
- Plug one nostril with a finger or thumb. Pressing on the nostril will do, sticking your finger up your nose is purely optional.
- Inhale deeply filing your lungs. Try counting to 5.
- Exhale through the same nostril, keeping the other one plugged. Count to 5 on the exhalation.
- Alternate nostrils with each inhalation.
- You might also try inhaling through one nostril and exhaling through the other.
Personally, I think it’s a great distraction technique. You can’t really be focussing on stress or anxiety when doing this. You’re more likely to focus on not looking stupid and trying to be discrete.
If done loudly and with drama you may just be able to annoy your work colleagues. If someone queries what you are doing, you can stun them with the statement: “I’m balancing the hemispheres of my brain!” Just visualising that very scenario makes me chuckle.